Monday, July 19, 2010

Bare Island 17th July 2010


A single dive today at Bare Island in Botany Bay. Mikhail (sic?) was my buddy and Carolyn was the DM (pictured above).
The visibility was excellent as the winter brings clearer water from the ocean.
A White ear nestled in a sponge
There are some beautiful sponge gardens on this dive and some fantastic creatures but the construction works in the bay has left a coating of silt on most things.

We came across a few sleeping Port Jackson Sharks in a swim-through and we found this one out on the sand taking in the view.
I found an interesting fish who reacted amazzingly to my flash. He put out these huge blue and black wings and threw up his feather fins. Does anyone know what he is?
We found an octopus in his lair - He thought Spain would win the World Cup as well but didn't want to get involved in a big media circus.

and the usual nudibrancs, starfish and .... dont know?
Can anyone tell me what this last one is?

Great dive as usual at Bare Island. I think I am going to look into dry-suits as I wasn't cold on the dive but took a while to get warm once I got out. The dry-suit divers had no such problems and I think if I am going to do 2 dives for over an hour in July and August it will be worth investing in a dry-suit.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Colin,

    I know the colourful fish with black & blue fins is called 'Spiny Gurnard'. I saw him (or maybe her) at the back of Bare Island (the right side) few months back. Not only it's colourful but it also has legs too. I've tried to take photo of this fish from the front to include his legs but didn't have too much success as he always tried to turn his head & swim away. Other time I had a photo of this fish and a weedy seadragons next to each other. I actually have the photo of this fish on my computer desktop at work & also on my website at www.minhtran.info :p

    Cheers,
    Minh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mihn, I checked out your site and it is awesome. I've put a permanent link to your site on my blog- hope you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like the last picture is the Red Rock Cod- a type of Scorpion fish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think so too. Most definitely a red rockcod. Its scientific name is 'scorpaena cardinalis' :)

    ReplyDelete