Sunday, September 27, 2009

Oak Park 27 September 2009

Dive master was Brett. Buddy was Dave.

Very cold in the water (14 degrees) and visibility was quiet poor (about 5 M max). First dive: I noticed the same bell ringing that I had heard in Gordon's Bay a few weeks ago. I remember asking the other divers if they heard the bell and some did but most didn't. I put it down to the fact that I was the only one not wearing a hood so I was able to hear it better. I thought this was too strange a coincidence to hear the same bell at a separate dive site so I tried to see if there was any rhythm or timing to the bell - I noticed the bell rang every time I drew air from my regulator so the sound was some sort of metallic resonance coming from my tank. Once I recognised the noise for what it was it didn't sound so much like a bell ringing. The ringing was there on the second dive as well - I will post a question on a dive forum about this as I am sure I am not Robinson Crusoe here. We swam to the Cave and a few divers went in but it silted up very quickly and my buddy knocked his first stage on the way out of the cave and it started to slowly leak. I took a look and indicated to him that he had a leak but we continued the dive and made regular checks on his PG. There were no further problems with his equipment for the rest of the dive. We exited with 70bar at the planned exit point.

The hour long lunch break was pretty cold and seemed longer because the Soup Natzi had told me "no soup for you today!" because I didn't get my booking online before 5pm the previous day. Another lesson from today's dive is to make sure I book at least 24 hours in advance to give the guys at Abyss enough notice to feed me (or god forbid I actually planned to feed myself:))

Second dive was fairly uneventful for my buddy and I but the other group did lose a diver and the divemaster had to go back and get him. I am not sure of the whole story but that is a problem when you dive in groups rather than in buddy pairs. At the exit we waited to let Brett know that we were out and 3 of the group of 5 came out at one exit point while Brett and another diver came out of the other exit point.

Dave took some photographs and said he will email me them I may post them when I receive them.

No comments:

Post a Comment